Beauty treatments should have an end goal, of course, but they should be fun, too. After all, DIY face masks, hair treatments, and quirky beauty devices are a classic way to pass the time when nothing else sounds fun. Indeed, there are few activities that sound more appealing after a long workday or on a weekend afternoon than a glass of wine, a new episode of The Handmaid's Tale (or Nailed It-whatever floats your boat) and some sort of gooey, wrinkle-reducing concoction slathered all over your face.
We Byrdie editors have tried our fair share of at-home beauty treatments. Some are more confusing, messy, cumbersome, or ineffective than they're worth, but the following are those we genuinely love to play around with when we're bored at home and in the mood for some pampering. Looking for a fun beauty activity to pass the time? Read on for our 13 faves, from quirky moisturizing treatments to press-on nails.
1. Try the Hanacure At-Home FacialHanacure All-in-One Facial Starter Kit $29Shop
Few skincare treatments are buzzier at the moment than this mixable face mask, which is designed to re-create the youth-inducing effects of a professional facial by brightening, contouring, detoxifying, brightening, lifting, and firming the face. It only takes about a minute to prepare and apply, then 30 minutes to take effect, but the results are mindblowing. Just look to our full review by Byrdie's assistant editor Erin Jahns, who tried the product with her 70-year-old parents.
2. Give Yourself a Press-On PedicureImPress Press-On Pedicure $7Shop
Another Byrdie editor-approved at-home treatment is Im-Press's line of press-on pedicures. If you're feeling too lazy (or broke) to go to the salon, these $7 kits of real gel press-on nails are impossibly easy to apply, actually stay put, and come in an array of cute, minimalist nail art designs you'd otherwise pay top dollar to have done professionally.
3. Use a Blue-Light LaserTria Beauty Positively Clear Acne Clearing Blue Light Device $169 $113Shop
The powerful blue light emitted from this chic little device works to fight acne by penetrating deep into the pores to kill any breakout-causing bacteria down there. Use it once a day for five minutes, and you can almost guarantee to see improvement within a couple months. Byrdie's managing editor, Lindsey Metrus, is a fan, not only of the results but of the ritual itself. "It just feels so good to just lie there and run it over your face," she says.
4. Sculpt Your Face with a Crystal Gua ShaOdacitГ© Crystal Contour Gua Sha Rose Quartz Beauty Tool $38Shop
Gua shaВ is an ancient Chinese practice whose facial benefits include lifted, contoured facial muscles; smoother skin; and a reduction of wrinkles. Simply drench your face in your favorite serum, then use the smooth edges of this rose quartz tool to scrape the skin, lifting it from the center of your face upward toward your hairline.
5. Do Some Mess-Free Self-TanningIsle of Paradise Self-Tanning Water $28Shop
Self-tanning had always seemed like a burden to me until I got my hands on a bottle of this totally clear, non-stinky, all-natural tanning water. After exfoliating and shaving, I simply spritz this stuff all over and blend it with a mitt. It's so easy, it leaves no stains or smell, and six hours later, I suddenly have a natural-looking tan.
6. Indulge in a Bubble Charcoal MaskTalika Bubble Mask Bio Detox $10Shop
This three-step mask bubbles up as it sits on your face, which is a truly amusing spectacle. It's not just for show, though-the unique detoxifying formula combines oxygen with traditional Asian medicinal ingredients to clear toxins from the pores.
7. Moisturize with a Japanese Lotion PackKoh Gen Do Pure Cotton $14Shop
Lotion packs have been my favorite way to deeply hydrate my skin at home ever since I learned about the practice on a trip to Tokyo this past spring. You simply douse a number of pure, unbleached cotton sheets in a hydrating lotion or essence, stretch the sheets out super thin, place them all over your face, and leave them there for 15 minutes. When you take them off, your skin is guaranteed to glow to the gods.Koh Gen Do Oriental Plants Lotion-II $58Shop
8. Repair Your Strands with a Jojoba Oil Hair MaskDesert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil (2-Pack) $18Shop
Jojoba oilhas endless benefits for the skin and hair, but one of the simplest and most effective uses is as a treatment hair mask. Simply apply the product all throughout your hair, braid your strands, leave it for a few hours or overnight, and then shampoo. The ingredient, which is composed of 98% monounsaturated fat, works to control dandruff, promote a healthy scalp, moisturize your hair from the inside out, repair damage, and help your hair grow.
9. Make a Cling Wrap MaskAmanda Montell
Why do a plain old face mask when you could terrify your roommates and/or live-in lover with a mask covered in cling wrap? The quirky Japanese practice of topping your mask of choice with plastic wrap really works-by sealing in your body heat, it allows your pores to open up and the mask's ingredients to absorb deeply rather than just hanging out on the skin's surface. Just make sure to use BPA-free plastic and cut yourself air holes, people.Circumference In-Depth Hydration Face Mask $65ShopChicwrap Cook's Tools Refillable Plastic Wrap Dispenser/Slide Cutter and 250' of Professional BPA Free Plastic Wrap $14Shop
10. Make a Turmeric Under-Eye BrightenerErin Jahns
Turmeric has been used as a skin-brightening treatment for centuries, and Erin on Team Byrdie swears by it for the under-eye area in particular. MixВ one tablespoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of buttermilk, applyВ the orange mixture to your dark circles with a brush, and expect to look infinitely better-slept after just 15 minutes.Jiva Organics USDA Organic Turmeric Powder $5Shop
11. Do a Glitter Face MaskGlamGlow #GlitterMask Gravity Mud Firming Treatment $59Shop
If you're really bored, add some excitement to your day with showy glitter mask. GlamGlow's #GlitterMask uses the same skin-tightening formula as their iconic GravityMud Treatment,В but with glitter made out ofВ licorice and marshmallow leaf, because why the hell not?
12. Create a DIY De-BloaterAura Cacia Black Pepper Essential Oil $11Shop
One of my personal favorite at-home beauty treatments is a topical de-bloating elixir I learned about fromВ Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi, who is secretly an aromatherapy guru. Her recipe involves a mixture of jojoba oil and essential oils of juniper, grapefruit, black pepper, and geranium (check the moreВ in-depth recipeВ for specifics). Rub it all over your body when you feel like you're hanging onto water, and behold as the diuretic works its magic.В
13. Self-Applied Eyelash ExtensionsLashify The Control Kit $125Shop
This completely game-changing lash extensions kit is so easy an impatient, jaded beauty editor could do it-with results and stupidly gorgeous, natural-looking lashes that stay on for up to 10 days. When Byrdie's editorial director came into the office one day with a full set of these, we were shook to find out she did them herself in 15 minutes.
14. Paint a Rainbow ManiEssie Nail Polish in Russian Roulette $9Shop
Start with this bright red on your thumbs, then work your wayВ through the rainbow on the rest of your nails.В
15. Perfect Your Smokey EyeMaybelline New York Minute Smokey Eye Gift Set $24Shop
PerfectingВ the art of the smokey eye is a never-ending journey. There's always room for improvement, so why not experiment?В
16. Explore an Obscure Online Beauty ShopVapour Organic Beauty Illusionist Concealer $25Shop
ExploringВ beauty sites you've probably never heard of beforeВ is endlessly entertaining. We found this concealer onВ Levert Beauty, a clean beautyВ mecca.В
17. Make a Beauty-Boosting SmoothieVital Proteins Beauty Collagen $32Shop
MixВ some of this powder into your favorite smoothie to reap its skin-enhancing benefits.В
18. Do an Animal Print Sheet MaskmasqueBAR Pretty Animalz Sheet Mask $4Shop
Entertain yourself and nourish your skin at the same time. This cat-patterned mask promises to energize your skin while you have fun wearing it.В
19. Mix All of Your Lipstick Shades TogetherHuda Beauty Liquid Matte Minis $33Shop
Take a cue from YouTuberВ Safiya NygardВ and mix all of your lipsticks together (and pray that they result in a wearable shade).В
19. Read a Beauty BookDeepak Chopra & Kimberly Snyder Radical Beauty: How to Transform Yourself from the Inside Out $15Shop
This title comesВ highly recommended from our editorial director Faith Xue. You'll learn practical tips, tools, routines, and foodsВ for transforming yourself and your lifestyle.В
20. Do a Face MassageHerbivore Rose Quartz Facial Roller $40Shop
Turns out you can use a facial roller to give yourself a massage. Our wellness editor Victoria Hoff has all the deets.В
21. Try this Mascara HackMilk Makeup KUSH High Volume Mascara $24Shop
Experiment with this life-changing mascara hack. You won't regret it.В
22. Take a Pretty Product Flat Lay For InstagramGlossier The Skincare Set $40Shop
With their sleek packaging and millennial pink accents, Glossier products are totally Insta-worthy.В
23. Do an At-Home PeelPixie skintreats Peel & Polish $24Shop
Treat yourself to an at-home peel like this one, which has natural fruit enzymes, lactic acid, and cellulose that work together to reveal smoother, softer, glowing skin.В
24. Practice your dutch braid technique
Channel your inner Kardashian using our step-by-step dutch braidВ tutorial.В
25. Perfect How to Overline Your LipsUrban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil $20Shop
It's an art form we have yet to master.В
26. Make a DIY Lip ScrubFresh Sugar Lip Polish $24Shop
Combine sugar and coconut oil for an at-home lipВ exfoliating treatment. Or if you're not a DIY fan, try this lip scrub from Fresh.В
27. Try a Funky Wash-Out Hair ColorJoico InstaTint Temporary Color Shimmer Spray $10Shop
SprayВ in some streaks, or give your whole head a new bright hue.В
28. De-puff Your Under-Eyes with Tea BagsTwinings English Breakfast Black Tea Bags (100 Count) $11Shop
Caffeinated tea bags have beenВ shown to reduce under-eye puffiness. Steep two bags, squeeze out the excess liquid, allow them to cool, and you're good to go.В
29. Do a Babyfoot TreatmentBaby Foot Exfoliant Foot Peel (1 Pack) $15Shop
This one hour foot mask will leave your feet feeling baby-smooth (hence the name).В
30. Use a Pore StripBiore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips Combo Pack (24 Strips) $14Shop
Is there anything more satisfying than seeing all the dirt and oil that comes out of your face after using one of these?В
31. Surf Amazon's Beauty SectionCOSRX Acne Pimple Master Patches $5Shop
You'll find every product you never knew you needed, like these COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patches.В
32. Try DermarollingSdara Skincare Derma Roller Cosmetic Needling Instrument For Face $18Shop
This technique has been shown to reduce wrinkles, under eye bags, and evenВ stretch marks.
33. Try DermaplaningStackedSkincare Dermaplaning Tool $75Shop
Not to be confused with the aforementioned dermarolling,В dermaplaningВ is an exfoliating process that will leave your skin softer and brighter.В
34. Give Yourself a Scalp MassageBody Back Scalp Massager $5Shop
We can practically feel the relaxation just by looking at this scalp massager, anyone else? TryВ thisВ rosemary oil scalp massage while you're at it.В В
35. Practice a Cut CreaseUrban Decay Naked2 Basics Eyeshadow Palette $29Shop
Just search "cut crease tutorial" on YouTube and you'll be entertained for hours.В
36. Experiment with Filling in Your Brows in a Different ShapeAnastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz $21Shop
The brow world is your oyster.В
37. Give Yourself a Steam Facial
FollowВ thisВ tutorialВ and you'll feel totally refreshed.В
38. DIY an Essential Oil DiffuserMajestic Pure Aromatherapy Essential Oils Set $15Shop
Check outВ our essential oil guide, Google DIY oil diffuser, and get to work.В
39. Tint Your Own EyebrowsGodefroy Tint Kit (4 Applications) $13Shop
Our beauty director Deven Hopp tints her own eyebrows, here's how.В
40. Try to Recreate an Iconic Celebrity Red Carpet LookL'Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Bronze It Bronzer $12Shop
Blake Lively wore this bronzer onВ this year's Met Gala red carpet.В
41. Attempt Some Minimalist Nail Art@aliciatnails
Check out theseВ 20 shockingly easy nail designs you can totally do at home.В
42. Pair the Perfect Wine With the Perfect Face MaskLagunamoon 24K Gold Facial Mask $15Shop
You'll feel extra glam sipping your wine while wearing this 24K gold mask.В
43. Try a Butt MaskBawdy Beauty Bawdy Galaxy Kit - Butt Mask Collection $32Shop
It's like a sheet mask, but for your butt.В
44. Whiten Your TeethCrest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips Professional Effects (20 Treatments and White Whitestrips 1 Hour Express) $44Shop
Pop these Whitestrips on for an hour while you're watching Netflix.В
45. Work on Your At-Home Blowout TechniqueDrybar Buttercup Blow Dryer $195Shop
A low-stakes opportunity to practice before the next time you actually need a blowout.В
46. Try the Olaplex Hair Perfector TreatmentOlaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 $28Shop
This at-home salon quality hair treatment is a Byrdie editor favorite.В
47. Use an Under Eye Mask (And Take a Selfie in it)Knesko Skin Diamond Radiance Eye Mask $16Shop
Celebritiesare obsessed with the masks from this brand.В
48. Listen to a beauty-themed podcastGejin Bluetooth Wireless Headphones $20Shop
Some of our favorites include Glowing Up with Esther and Caroline, Fat Mascara, and Breaking Beauty.В
49. Take a Shelfie
RearrangeВ your beauty cabinet and then snap aВ pic like the one above to showcase all of your favorite products.В
50. Play Around with Colorful EyelinerUrban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil $21Shop
It's the latest trend thatВ all the NYC girls are rocking.В
Want more beauty DIYs? Check out how to master anВ at-home facialВ (because spas are expensive).