When she's not working with big names like Emily Blunt and Mandy Moore, celebrity makeup artist Jenn StreicherВ is part of the Laura Mercier Makeup Artist Collective, and she's agreed to share her expertise with us via our new Ask an Artist series. Need help selecting the best foundation for your skin type? Want to master a three-minute eye makeup look? Come back every month for a unique beauty lesson from a pro.
It's rare that we find ourselves with ample time to get ready for a night out. Between juggling work and our social lives (plus a million different errands), we're moving fast and on the go. But, that doesn't stop us from wanting to try a killer makeup look when the sun sets. So,В we reached out toВ celebrity makeup artist Jenn StreicherВ to share her proВ tips for creating aВ three-minute smoky eye. Streicher's advice? Stick to portable products that come in stick form for easy application. (Her go-tos are the Laura MercierВ Caviar Stick Eye Colours, $29.) "These dry fast, so work quickly and in small areas," she says. "And blend! Once they dry, they don't like to move."
We know what you're thinking: Obviously a pro can do a lotВ in justВ three minutes, but what about everyone else? Streicher showed us the ropes, then let ourВ model do her other eye to prove just how easy it is to master. Don't believe us? Watch for yourself below.
Ready to try the look yourself? Get started.
- Start with the Caviar Stick Eye Colour in FogВ ($29). Draw the soft gray color over yourВ entire lid up into the crease and along your lower lash line.В
- Next, add matte shadeВ CobblestoneВ (a deep taupe)В to yourВ lid, focusing on the outer edgeВ and blending with your index finger. Add a touchВ to your lowerВ lash line, too.
- Then, rubВ aВ bit of the blackВ TuxedoВ shade onto the end of the Clay Smudge BrushВ ($30). BlendВ into yourВ crease. Concentrate on the outer edge of the eye creating a V-shape, and blend with your finger as needed.В
- To mimic the effect of liner, drawВ TuxedoВ onto theВ Clay Smudge BrushВ ($30). Press the brushВ intoВ your upper and lowerВ lash lines. Then, useВ your finger to smudge and smoke it out.
- Finish with a dabВ of RosegoldВ on the inner corners of yourВ eyes. Stop your clocks - your three minutes are up and it's time to go out.
Tell us: What other looks do you want to master in under three minutes?