In our humble opinion, mornings were meant for the smell of coffee, silky duvets, hitting the snooze button, cuddling with our S.O. (preferably of the four-legged variety), and devouring big, fluffy pancakes. One of the only things that eventually lures us out from under the covers, the latter is one of our all-time favorite ways to start the day-despite an ingredient list that is typically less than favorable. However, leave it to the girls at Tone It Up (who continuously contribute healthy tips and keep our workout and nutrition game in tip-top shape), to come up with an insanely delicious, guilt-free take on the breakfast classic that has all the cakey goodness, sans gluten or added sugars. Bananas offer a natural, caramel-y sweetness (not to mention good-for-you potassium and fiber), while egg whites and protein powder keep hunger pains in check. Three words: Pass the syrup.
- 1 scoop/packet Vanilla Protein Powder
- ВЅ banana (mashed)
- ВЅ tablespoon almond milk
- Вј cup of egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Completely mash banana with almond milk; stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, add a handful of blueberries to batter before cooking.
2. Spray your skillet with cooking spray; turn on medium-low heat and pour batter evenly.
3. Cook for a couple of minutes, until you see bubbles rising. Carefully flip the pancake and cook it all the way through.
4. Serve with sliced strawberries and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. If preferred, top with Greek yogurt, mixed berries, coconut flakes, and a dash of cinnamon.
5. Once prepared, use within 1 day. Refrigerate in a covered container.